Wednesday, March 13, 2013

I'm glad...

Sometimes when my kids were little I would express a positive thought aloud.

"I'm glad we can afford to go out to lunch sometimes," or "I'm glad we have a car and enough gasoline to go to the mountains!" Or "I'm glad our cats are nice."

And don't do it to train them. Do it because it's true. It will be uplifting, in that moment to kind of put a blessing on it.


from the January 2013 chat on gratitude

photo by Sandra Dodd of a car in Lyon, France, 2012
Here's the other side of it:

3 comments:

  1. I am glad I woke up to this post this morning. What a simple and easy way to teach gratitude every day.

    I am also glad I found your blog recently. It has inspired me in these last cold and yucky days of Winter as I make my way through my first year of homeschooling. Thank you!

    And, I am really, really, glad to see that picture of the car with Phineas and Ferb. I am going to share it with my kids, who love them, and I know they will be glad too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't think of it as a way to teach gratitude. Think of it as a way to express your own gratitude. Learning to see abundance (for the mother to learn that) creates an abundant life for you and you will have enough abundance to share with family and friends.

    Thank you for the kind words, and I'm glad the Phineas and Ferb photos will have an appreciative audience. In the late 1960's and early 70's, there were offers for people with VW bugs to take paint jobs, and to be rolling billboards. The prettiest one I ever saw was for Herbal Essence shampoo. The face was on the hood, and the woman's wavy hair went all over the rest of the car. I figured it was one of those deals, in France... a billboard. I could be wrong. There was no one there to ask. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely thought, and so true !

    I'll never regret to have done the same.
    What I regret, though, is to have not done it more often.

    Thanks Sandra !

    Edith

    ReplyDelete

Please comment!